Thursday, November 16, 2006

The House on the Corner




This house doesn't live here anymore.

It was built in the late 1800s, and sat on the corner next to my apartment building (which you can see to the right) in the early part of the twentieth century. It burned to the ground, by arson, sometime in the 1960s.

Not visible in this photo, directly behind my apartment building, is this home's carriage house, which still exists and is now owned by me. I've been told by the city that it shouldn't exist. According to building codes, when a structure is destroyed or demolished, its outbuildings must also be removed. I'm not sure exactly why that didn't happen in this case, but I'm glad it didn't.

I got this photo from city hall, while doing some research on my building's history. I'm glad someone was paying attention. I've lived here 10 years, and this is the first time I've seen an image of the home that used to live on the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what an amazing structure! The fact that the carriage house is still standing (and you're in it) might also be because someone WASN'T paying attention. Seems more likely as it was a city job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bloody great house - bloody great shame it's gone.
    have you rendered it in ink in your inimitable style?
    w00dy [from flickr]

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!