Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wednesdays Off...



For several years now, I've worked my day job as a media librarian at Sprint just 4 days a week, taking Wednesdays off to take care of all the little things you can't do on weekends: banking, meeting with contractors and professionals, doctors appointments. I've recently secured financing to get some long-awaited work done on my property, so Wednesdays will be a crucial day for me to manage that project.

I also get to imagine myself semi-leisure class. Hang out at the coffeehouse. Read and draw. Work out. Watch the world spin. Right now, I'm enjoying a big bowl of oatmeal with sliced bananas, walnuts, almonds, and maple syrup. I am putting off yoga until a little later, after I've digested a bit.

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's one of those intense, exciting, drama-filled books that keeps me riveted, but that I know is perpetuating a "good vs. evil" dynamic that I'd like my co-inhabitants of Planet Earth to move past. I'm simultaneously re-reading Robert Anton Wilson's Historic Chronicals of the Illuminati Trilogy. I've finished Book 1: The Earth Will Shake, and am just a few pages into Book 2: The Widow's Son. It is astonishingly good. I learn something new on practically every page. And Wilson's book is set up so you think you know what is good and what is evil, but then reminds you we're all just people trying to stay on top of things.

The way to stand up to those who would lie, cheat, and steal to stay on top is to tell the truth, play fair, and share. The missing piece seems to be what to do about those who take advantage of those who do this in order to stay on top. How do we get them to recognize they are being obstacles to the goal of life? The excuse our culture keeps using to lie, cheat, and steal is that if we don't, someone else will, and then we will go without. This is the same for individuals living their lives, businesses and organizations, all the way up to multinational corporations and governments.

The lie: (e.g.) You can be anything you want.

What's interesting is that's also the truth. The liars turn it into a lie by telling you the fact, and then throwing obstacles to it's manifestation in your way.

The truth: I am what I make myself.

The cheat: (e.g.) Using power to help some while keeping help from others.

Playing fair: There is enough for everyone. Relax and be nice.

The steal: Property is an illusion. The best I can figure out is that we are taking care of everything we "own" until such time as it leaves our care and returns to the world. Anything we claim to own is stolen from the rest of the world.

The Sharing: We are given the world by being born in it. We are sharing it every moment of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!